Monday, March 10, 2008

Drum roll, please....

....Anna's A1C was 7.0, exactly what it was 3 months ago. Now, let me say, that is considered a GREAT A1C for a child. However, I was hoping for just a bit better. We worked with the doctor today and have made changes to her basal rates and I:C ratios in an effort to tighten things up a bit. The last thing I want is any unexplainable lows, so I am anxious to see how the changes work out.

You may ask what makes a low unexplainable vs. explainable. Or you may not really care ;) I'll explain anyway. If we have all of the rates, targets, correction factors and ratios set correctly then I can usually explain or understand why she has a low when she has one. For example, she might not have eaten all of the food we bolused for or she might have done a lot of exercise without eating additional carbs. What I don't want to see are any lows that I cannot explain. That would mean that some of our settings are off. If that happens, then we will just readjust.

We go to the endocrinologist every 3 months, we alternate between seeing the NP and the Doc each time. So, we only see the actual M.D. every 6 months. We had a great discussion today and really validated that all of the hard work we are putting into Anna's care is 100% worth it and the right thing to do. What we are doing now will positively impact her quality of life as an adult. The tight control we work to achieve now is really what prevents complications later on. Once the complications start it is really hard to make a big enough change to turn things around.

There was a time when I felt that a lot of what I posted would revolve around Anna's care. But, although we put lots of time and brain power into getting it all right, we strive for it to remain in the background of our lives. So, I will post about it from time to time, as there are days when it just refuses to remain in the background.

Enough diabetes talk....

I dislike Springing Forward. I am really still quite irritated that I have lost an hour. I don't like it one bit, neither do the kids. It was like pulling teeth to get them out of bed this morning. And now when it is really "time" to put them to bed, they are nowhere near ready. Alex is begging for some Daddy play time before he takes a bath. How can I possibly say no to that?

I wish that the days when they beg to have our attention would never end. I also wish that I had time to give them the attention they want and need.

We continue to pray for margin in our lives and trust that God has the perfect plan.

Lissa

No comments: