Thursday, March 13, 2008

Alex's Plan and Anna's Concern

Where did this day go? It absolutely flew by. Alex needed a lot of attention today and wanted me to spend some play time with him. I sit here feeling pretty regretful as I never made that happen, not to the extent that he wanted. Mommy guilt.... I have got to do a better job of setting "things" aside and playing with my son while he is little and still wants me to.

Which brings me to Alex's plan...we have been toying around with the idea of me becoming a full-time family manager, if you catch my drift :) While we were discussing this the other day, I mentioned to my very excited children that it would mean a big change in our financial dynamic. Today...we go to Target we buy. Future....we don't go to Target ;) Alex did not even miss a beat in the discussion. He has a PLAN. He is going to start looking for money on the ground everywhere we go. He is going to put that money in his piggy bank. And, now, instead of saving it to spend on himself, he is going to SHARE it with us. All in an effort to ease the financial pain if we put our dreams into reality. Gotta love him!

Anna, on the other hand, seemed initially concerned with a potential lack of "things." She had lines of worry on her face and I gave her a bit of a hard time about the attitude. The discussion ended, bed time came and went, and then I heard the familiar "Mommy, oh Mommy!" coming from her bed. I walked in the room and said in a halfway tired tone, "Yes, Anna." And she responded, "Mommy, if you quit your job, will I be able to keep my Omnipod?" You see, she wasn't so much concerned about "things" as I originally thought. She was concerned about keeping her pods, which she understands cost a significant amount of money on a regular basis. Now, let me say, that we are not some ogre's who have told our child how much keeping her alive is costing us. Quite the contrary, we would do whatever it takes to provide her with the best possible care without giving her any hint of additional burden. Kids just somehow know these things. Anyway, I explained very clearly that I would never do anything that would keep her from having her pump. That she was very important to me and the fact that the pump made her life easier was also very important and it would not be going away, no matter what. There are those things that just hurt your heart and this was one of them. I hate that she has to have diabetes, I work to make it the best it can possibly be and I feel awful that she even remotely thinks it puts any kind of burden on us. So, just like taking time to play with Alex, I must also take time to make sure that Anna feels totally secure.

Now, on a some what lighter note. Tonight Chris had to work late, Alex had soccer practice and I had a friend in need. I took my friend Julie's kids to soccer tonight. Afterward, we stopped in at Subway for a quick bite. Let me just say that it has been quite some time since I took 4 kiddos, 3 of them under 6, out to dinner by myself. It was an adventure, a fun adventure, but an adventure none the less. After dinner we headed home for some play time and when it was time to go home they did not want to. What a blessing, I love being able to bless others and know that their children feel comfortable in our home playing with our kids. God is good!

No comments: