Monday, December 08, 2008

JOY

JOY....it is a word that is used often during the Christmas season. But, what does it really mean? What does it mean to choose joy everyday? I don't always do a good job at being joyful. My family will tell you that I use the phrase "choose joy" on a very regular basis in our home, throughout the year. But I am talking to myself as much as to anyone else.

From an academic perspective, the definition of JOY is this:
The emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires ; The expression or exhibition of such emotion; A state of happiness or felicity; A source or cause of delight

Joy is referenced in the Bible hundreds of time and all are excellent reminders of what Joy truly is. A few of my favorites:

..."the JOY of the Lord is your strength."- Nehemiah 8:10

"For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands, and your JOY will be complete." - Deuteronomy 16:15

"Shout for JOY to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs."- Psalm 100:1-2

Over the last couple of days, as I have been fluctuating between joy and irritation, I have tried to focus on what in me causes joy. Why do I choose to have joy some days, but not others? It is easy to blame our inability to be joyful on those around us...right? But, in reality, it is always our choice to respond to individuals and circumstances with joy. A hard lesson that I am committed to learning, every day. But for today, I have found an easy (albeit somewhat cheesy sounding) way to understand what choosing JOY means for me. It is all about my priorities, if everything is in the right place, then it is easy to find JOY. So, here we go:

Jesus
Others
Yourself

Now, if I can just follow through and put my focus on things that matter, in the appropriate order, then peace and joy will follow.

And because no post would be complete without pictures....some sights and scenes from our home to yours....Merry Christmas!

























post signature

1 comment:

The Ray Family Adventures said...

I didn't know that yall moved into a department store!

Your house looks amazing as usual, i loved seeing the pictures and hearing your words on JOY!

Amen sister