Monday, August 09, 2010

Spontaneity

We have had a jam-packed few weeks of fun! I am going to do my best to start at the beginning and do everything justice...as we have had some very blog-worthy moments.

As much as I love to plan and anticipate things, I also LOVE a nice dose of spontaneity thrown in. The following events definitely fall into that category.

Rewind three and a half weeks...to July 16th, my father-in-law's birthday. We were sitting at home minding our own business on a quiet Wednesday night. I had just mentioned to the kids that we needed to call Papa to tell him "Happy Birthday", when the phone rang....it was Papa. (Don't you just hate it when a family member calls you on their birthday before you get a chance to call them!) Chris answered the phone and within minutes was calling me into the office...saying "you better listen in, it sounds like dad has cooked up one of his plans."

His plan went a little something like this....He had decided what he wanted for his birthday. He wanted for the 6 of us to take a little road trip together...up to Palo Duro Canyon. Sounded fun enough, I was thinking...especially about October when the weather would be perfect for hiking! As any of you who know Keith know...there is almost always a catch to his schemes and we were about to find out what the catch was with this great plan. "But," he said. "We've looked at the calendar and the only weekend that will work is this weekend." As in two days from now...as in less than 48 hours from his initial phone call. I could tell that Chris was immediately "out" on this idea. He had been having a busy, stressful week at work. We were in the middle of putting our house on the market and trying to plan a garage sale for that weekend. I coaxed him into at least telling his Dad that we would think about it and then we hung up.

As serious and intense as Chris can be, he is almost always game for a little fun. It just takes a little coaxing from me. So, with not much arm twisting, we called his Dad back and told him we were "in"!

What followed was a very, fun weekend of driving, eating, hiking, show-watching, reminiscing and all-together family fun! Here are some snapshots from our impromptu, spontaneous trek to the panhandle...


Things I caught on camera....Hiking into the caves at Palo Duro Canyon, The Rock'n'Roll Soda Fountain in downtown Canyon (wish I was going there for lunch today!), the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum, riding in the car.
Things I didn't catch on camera....going to see the Texas musical at the outdoor amphitheater in Palo Duro Canyon, our cool 1980's-era hotel complete with a Holidome :) and a questionable indoor swimming pool (swimming in particles of nastiness, anyone?), drive-bys of the home that Chris and his family lived in for a couple of years when he as a kid and also of the church they helped plant in Amarillo, lots of yummy eating and endless laughter and good times!
This summer has been a blast...more trip recaps to come. But, first, let me say that I am abundantly blessed. Without Jesus, we have nothing. Because of Him, we have everything we need.
Have a great day!!

post signature

No comments: