Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back to reality....

....and loving it!


We had a great trip to Disney. It was so fun to be able to share it with extended family this time. On the last day my nephew Will told me, "Aunt Lissa, this is NOT the last day, because we will be coming back again next year!" I will say that May was definitely more crowded than our usual September visits, so after taking a break for a while our next trip will definitely be in the fall again.


I cannot even begin to express how nice it was to come home and not face work the next day. Although, I continue to miss the people and some of the intensity and mental challenges of the job, I am loving being home with my kids. Devoting my time to building legos, painting fingernails and, of course, laundry, cleaning and cooking! The kids have been a little disappointed that I am not playing with them 24x7. I had to explain to Anna the other day that if she would like a towel to dry off with, then I had to do laundry!! But, we are all enjoying this new phase of life and I am so thankful to have this opportunity.


Interestingly enough, summers at our house over the last few years had been a bit of a free for all. With me working, the kids really had as much TV/Wii/Computer time as they wanted and little to no responsibility. I did not feel that I had the time to "teach" them certain chores, so I just did them myself. Part of that was probably guilt-motivated on my part. No need to tell me, I know this is not a good thing. So, part of my goal for this summer was more structure, more responsibility but also definitely more fun for the kids. Although we have been on a 4 days home, 3 days away routine since we returned (taking short weekend trips), I have managed to begin to teach them a few things :). Let's just say that after the initial shock wore off, things are going well. Anna truly does love a "job", so once she gets used to the idea she has really enjoyed her responsibilities (except for the putting away clothes one ;) ) Alex...well, we're still working on maintaining a cheerful attitude while doing chores!


We are off to the Barker Family Reunion this weekend and then we will be home for a while...yeah!! Anna has diabetes day camp next week, Alex has his big Lego 7th Birthday Sleepover party planned for next Wednesday and we are anticipating a visit from Ryan, Ash and the girls soon! So we will be home but busy and having fun!


Blessings on your summer,


post signature

No comments: