Thursday, March 26, 2009

Renaissance Girl

For many years now (even though she is only 9), we have been saying that Anna is a renaissance girl...using the definition to mean, "a person who has wide interests and is expert in several areas." She is a tomboy and a girly girl all rolled into one. She LOVES to be outside, climb trees, go on adventures, etc...BUT, at the same time, she chooses the perfect outfit for every occasion way in advance, loves to have tea parties and dress-up. She began watching musicals at 20 months and could sing several of the songs from Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof before she was 2. She can spend an entire day drawing pictures, writing stories and creating "events". However, she also loves StarWars and can build a mean Lego battleship. She is extremely creative and talented but also lacks some self-confidence in letting her gifts shine.

I love her so very much and am BLESSED to be her Mommy. I pray everyday that I am being the Mommy that she needs.

As an example of her varied interests, I bring you pictures from a lovely picnic that we took during Spring Break. Once we had decided to go on the picnic, her first thought must have been, "I have the perfect outfit in mind." The outfit she chose, a lovely dress with pinafore ala Belle and Alice in Wonderland, conjures up images of a lovely picnicking (is there such a word) girl sitting demurely on the picnic blanket holding an umbrella and enjoying a glass of lemonade. But behold the reality...











Foot races, tag, swinging...those things were the order of the day. She, of course, had no interest in lounging outside and enjoying the beautiful weather. She had things to do! We had so much fun! And, while, in my earlier years of parenting her, I would have strongly discouraged this outfit knowing what activities she would want to do, I have learned to give her creativity and imagination room to grow and blossom. When there is not a compelling reason to say no to one of her amazing ideas or plans, I try to let her go. She is not me. And I would never want her to be.

She is the best big sister, daughter, grand-daughter, niece and cousin a family could ever hope for!!







I love you, Anna!!!

post signature

3 comments:

Nan said...

She a treasure all right! Love you girls!

The Ray Family Adventures said...

She would love it here!!! They all dress up for their picnincs, i wish i could get her one of the outfits, i just learned that someone is making me one, should be interesting!

i should send some pics of all the girls decked out, and playing on the playground- she would fit right in!!!

love ya

Ashley said...

I love that dress! Oh, Anna, you are so precious! Miss you!