Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Anna....LOW

I don't talk much about diabetes here....for the simple reason that I try very hard for it be an underlying current to our lives, not a dominating theme. And most of the time that is exactly what it is, always under the surface...that one thing that is ALWAYS in the back of my mind. I might forget for a moment or two, but in reality I am constantly running these things through my head....her latest numbers, last time of bolus, what kind of food she ate, what kind of activity she has been/or will be doing. I hope, however, that from the outside looking in you don't see any of this. I don't ever want any part of her to be defined by diabetes...that is not to say that I do not believe it has a purpose in her life and will somehow be used for God's glory. I know that to be true beyond a shadow of a doubt.

All that being said, there is one time that diabetes can NOT remain hidden. This is the one time when I will jump over a couch, fight my way through a crowd, interrupt a very important meeting or stop the world for one second (if only I could). That is when Anna is LOW.

Today as I was working in the office, I heard this whimpery, breathless voice from the other room saying, "Mommy, I think I'm low...I can't move, please help." And instantly I jump into action, I can't get to her fast enough. I grab a coke from the fridge, a straw from the pantry and run to her side. But when I get there, she wants to argue, she doesn't want a drink she wants FOOD. You see, being low makes her feel desperately hungry. Her sugar-deprived brain is telling her that she NEEDS to eat. And, on top of that, being low can make one somewhat uncooperative. So, I talk her into taking a sip, promise her some food and grab her meter to test her blood sugar...the result: 45. A half of a coke, a bag of Cheetos and a grilled cheese later...she is up to 120. What happened, you wonder, to cause this low? Sometimes, you never know. But in this case, it was quite explainable... to make a long story short...she did not eat any of the lunch I served her and had already bolused (given insulin) for.

So, if you are ever with Anna and she looks like this.... (pale, deer in the headlights, lethargic)


....get some sugar into her fast.
Thanks for listening to today's lesson on diabetes. Now, go enjoy the ice/snow.

post signature

3 comments:

Ashley said...

oh, poor Anna. Give her a big hug and kiss from aunt ashley. Ryan and I have both agreed that if we move back up that way, we want to take some classes to educate ourselves as much as possible about diabetes. Love to you!

The Ray Family Adventures said...

Lissa, you do an amazing job as a mother to Anna. I am sure glad the Lord gave you that smart brain that can remember anything so that you are able to keep up with all you have to every day, every minute. that sure is a challenge, but you handle it well!

You are a champ, Anna is a blessed girl to have a mommy that is so on top of things.

Dana said...

I can't imagine what a daily struggle this is for you. I live with a grown up with diabetes, so he can tend to himself.
He did drop to 39 one night, shortly after his diagnosis...one of the scariest things I've ever seen!!